Watch: 15,000 balloon pride display takes shape
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- What can you make with 15,000 balloons?
Perhaps one of the largest displays of LBGTQ pride.
To help commemorate the 48th annual NYC LGBTQ Pride March -- that kicked off on Fifth Avenue and ended in the West Village on Sunday -- Geronimo Balloons created the giant balloon rainbow structure outside Squarespace headquarters, a Manhattan-based website publishing platform, at 8 Clarkson St.
This was the first time Geronimo founder Jihan Zencirli created a balloon structure of this size in a public space in New York, said Terry Wei, a member of the communications team for Squarespace, which is an official sponsor for Pride.
"We really wanted to do something fun for all the marchers and employees. So that's why we went about creating this art installation," she said.
Here are some fun facts about the display:
- To prepare for the project, Jihan ordered 15,000 balloons -- more than 750 lbs of balloons.
- The balloons ranged in size from 8 inches to 8 feet.
- The balloons are made out of an organic material, compostable, and 100 percent recyclable.
- Jihan's vision for the Pride installation was focused around creating an interactive moment for people to touch.
- The structure will be removed at 6 p.m. on Monday, June 26.